ACTION : HB192 Allocation Bill
+ NEWS : Steelhead Permit
HB192: MORE GOOD NEWS & ANOTHER CALL TO ACTION
The IOGA tag allocation legislation, HB 192 had its hearing in the Senate Resources and Environment Committee this afternoon, and is being sent to the Senate Floor with a "Do Pass" recommendation. (To view/download a copy of the Bill, Click Here.) HB192 will now be added to the Senate Reading Calendar and--after three readings--voted on by the full Senate membership.
While getting through the Senate Resources and Environment Committee with a "Do Pass" represents a significant step forward, and we feel confident moving into the Senate, we still need your help demonstrating to our Senators at large that this Bill is important to our businesses, industry and communities.
IMPORTANT --> ACT NOW TO HELP PASS HB192 IN THE SENATE
Click on the link above "Form Email" and a pre-written email should pop up in your email client or browser.
(This has worked for most so far, but if it your email client or browser doesn't automatically 'pop up' with the email, the letter and Senate email addresses are copied below).
Add your name at the bottom of the email.
(If you have time, personalizing the email is encouraged. Otherwise, just be sure to write your name legislative district (or town) and company or affiliation at the bottom.)
Do a quick check of the 'Address/To:' Field - that it looks like all Senator email addresses are populated in the 'addressee' field.
(Ideally, you'd copy all but one email address from the 'To:' field to the 'BCC' Field. But if you don't know how to do that easily or don't have time, don't worry about it. The most important thing is to send the letter of support.)
IF the Form Email didn't pop up automatically for you...:
Copy all Senator emails into Address field ("to:"): Emails copied below.
Ideally all but one email address in 'Bcc'd:
Copy the Please Support Letter into a new email: Letter copied below.
Add your name at the bottom.
If you have time, personalizing the email is encouraged. Otherwise, just be sure to write your name legislative district (or town) and company or affiliation at the bottom.
As a citizen and licensed hunt outfitter in Idaho , I strongly support of HB 192 – Outfitters Allocated Elk and Deer Tags.
This legislation will update statutes governing the nonresident set-aside and tag-allocation system such that it accurately and fully captures actual outfitted use, reflects current trends in hunter demand, and provides more dependable access for the public to outfitted tags.
The bill will NOT affect resident tag numbers or access.
Rather, this bill will create a reliable and accurate way for the Department of Idaho Fish and Game to establish the number of nonresident elk and deer tags to set-aside for outfitter use when setting big game seasons and implement a new formula for determining an outfitter’s historic use.
The changes would more accurately describe an outfitter’s actual historic use and provide a better means of distributing tags and collecting data.
If adopted, this legislation will update existing statue to create a fair system for the allocation of deer and elk tags to outfitters—that will surely yield strong economic gains for these small businesses and local communities around them.
I support this legislation and urge you to vote 'Yea' in support of HB192-Outfitters, elk and deer tags.
NEWS: UPDATE ON IDAHO'S INCIDENTAL TAKE PERMIT
News from the Fish & Game Department Commission Meeting:
To cut straight to the point, IDFG Agency Staff are highlyconfident that the NMFS authorization of Idaho's Incidental Take Permit will be completed/"in-hand" before the end-of-day Friday, and very likely earlier.
To be clear, IDFG has not announced as much officially. However, they have--to their credit--been all over this--in nearly continuous contact with NOAA all day--and the indication is clear.
As soon as the NMFS authorization arrives, the terms of the three way agreement (and most notably the sections that were closed to fishing as part of it) dissolve. At that point, the two area restrictions would no longer be in effect and the bag limit would revert to the general limits established in the 2019/2020 rules.
In the event the authorization is not completed by close of fishing Friday, the existing three way agreement would expire and the IDFG Decision of December 7 would stand.
Again, the clear and strong expectation is that we won't get to that point.
Please don't hesitate to get in contact with Aaron Lieberman with any questions or concerns or for clarification on any of this.