Executive Director News 1/14
Happy 2014 IOGA Members, Now that the Holiday season is over we are all back in the office working on many of the projects that were outlined at our annual meeting. Speaking of the annual meeting, I want to take a moment and thank all of the volunteers who helped the staff during the event. Especially the following, Gary Brookshire, Barbara Judge, Barb Billington, Dee Crane, Lynn Demerse, Karlee May, Brooke Oswald, Autumn Haney, Lora Haney, LeaAnne Haney and Gregg Simonds. Without these folks and many others it would be very tough for the staff to pull off such a successful event. We had very productive Idaho Natural Resource Foundation (INRF) and IOGA Board meetings. Both Boards were engaged and had good discussions on where we are today and what it will take to get our organization to the next level in the future. You should all be proud to have such a committed group of individuals leading our organizations. I would also like to thank our retiring Board Members Dirk Gibson (INRF & IOGA) and Dana Demorest (IOGA) for their years of service and welcome new board members J.R. Williams (IOGA vice president of REC) and Clint Frank (IOGA). We are still looking for one additional Board member to join the INRF board so if you know of someone or might be interested or even yourself please let us know. The annual meeting was well attended by our members and industry partners. There was some great information shared over the two-day event and a “big thanks” needs to go out to all of our presenters. Some of the many highlights were presentations from David Brown of America Outdoors Association, Jeff Sayer the Director of the Department of Commerce and the Lifetime Membership award that was presented to Doug Tims. Links to blogs compiled by Steve Stuebner will be included in this newsletter to give you a chance to view and hopefully forward these to those who could not make it. Numerous meetings have occurred this month in regards to forwarding our efforts on the “Raft Idaho Campaign” and hopefully we will be rolling out some exciting new things on this front in the near future. Part of this plan will involve our acquiring some up to date exciting video assets to use in our promotional efforts. If you would be willing to donate any whitewater/river footage for this purpose I would appreciate the heads up. Those who do donate footage that is used in our videos will be recognized for their efforts. Besides all of this the legislature has started up in town and our Government Affairs Liaison, Grant Simonds has been working hard with our lobbyist Tyler Mallard to protect our interests here. A full report from Grant will be included later in this bulletin. It is also trade show time for the IOGA and we are ramping up to get on the road to promote our members in many shows over the first quarter of 2014. A much bigger effort is scheduled this year than in years past as I feel strongly that marketing needs to be expanded in our association. The IOGA will have a presence in the following shows:
- International Sportsmen’s Exposition in Denver, January 16-19
- Wild Sheep Foundation Show in Reno, January 22-25
- Safari Club International in Las Vegas, February 5-8
- Idaho Sportsman Show in Boise, February 27-March 2
- International Sportsmen’s Exposition in Salt Lake, March 13-16
Annual Meeting Highlights
- Doug Tims, retired Middle Fork Salmon and Selway River outfitter, past president of the IOGA and recent author of a new book entitled Merciless Eden, became the 47th person to be recognized by the IOGA as an Honorary Lifetime Member during the annual December meeting. For more on this recognition and some priceless photos from the past, click here.
- David Brown, longtime Executive Director of the national outfitter organization, America Outdoors Association, presented an overview of recent trends in the outfitting industry and the outlook for 2014. See this blog on the IOGA website for this story and how some Idaho outfitters are involved in some of the latest trends.
- IOGA President Steve Burson, new IOGA Executive Director John May and Grant Simonds, now IOGA Government Affairs Liaison presented this overview of 2013 Association accomplishments during the 59th annual IOGA annual meeting last month. IOGA appreciates all those who attended and participated. A big “thank you” to our meeting sponsors, Thaw fundraiser supporters and our exhibitors.